Conservation Agriculture

Conservation Agriculture

A key focus of conservation agriculture is to have farmers have no-tilling, cover cropping, crop rotation, and livestock paddocking as part of their farming ‘Culture’. These best farming practices ensure that the soil maximizes the available moisture content, rather than waiting on the rainfall season to do their farming. This way, the small-scale farmers have a surplus of food that they share with their neighbors or sell to the local market at an affordable price, hence minimizing chances of food insecurity among the rural communities.

Our organization works with small-scale farmers, who have no irrigation systems in their farms, to ensure they don’t only practice farming during the rainfall season, but do farming year-round. This is archived by:

  1. Transfer of regenerative agriculture skills/knowledge to small-scale farmers across Kenya on the soil to ensure they don’t depend on rainfall season, but can do farming year-round.
  2. One-on-one training on sustainable conservation agriculture, crop diversification, crop cover, crop rotation, and paddocking system to ensure that the farms they own give them the maximum yields per season, which ensures they are food secure year-round.
  3. Offering technical guidance on the implementation of the climate-smart model to ensure non-reliance on rainfall for farming.
  4. Training farmers on practical agroforestry with indigenous trees with the main aim of enriching the soil with organic matter that allows living organisms to thrive and avoiding the use of inorganic chemicals and fertilizer that not only kill the organisms but alters the soil pH
  5. Training small scale farmers on land use management systems ensures that their farms have a holistic approach of farming and ensuring that bad practices like mono-cropping and farming on crop family in all season, like corn in the same piece of land, doesn’t occur to avoid reduced yields and loss of moisture through evaporation. 
  6. Track, analyse and monitor the conservation agriculture projects, documenting the results, success stories and lessons learnt.

Kenya has approximately 80% of its land on the Arid and Semi-arid (ASAL) and the remaining 20% is experiencing effects of climate change like erratic rainfall seasons, prolonged drought, or flash floods. To ensure that small-scale farmers, as they are the group of most affected farmers, are food secure, we have to have practical training on conservation agriculture/regenerative agriculture. This model of farming ensures that the soils have better moisture-holding capacity, reduced soil erosion, minimizes overgrazing through paddocking, increase soil organic matter thus, increasing the natural living organisms that irritate the soil and break down the organic manure hence, supplying the soil with needed nutrients. 

This project aims at achieving food security in the community, since most small-scale farmers are found in a rural set-up, and with the sharing nature of Kenya, one farmer with a surplus of food, the neighbor won’t sleep without a meal.

Scroll to Top